ZionFireFriends

Full Version: Chile Relleno Casserole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Chile Relleno Casserole

This is a favorite recipe adapted from a magazine. The parenthesis contain my tweaks. Smile )

This one always gets recipe requests:

2 T. flour

1/2 tsp. each pepper & salt

4 C. mix of shredded Montery Jack and sharp cheddar cheeses ( I use the 4 cheese Mexican blend)

3 - 7 oz. cans of chopped mild green chiles (I use whole chiles, split and opened up flat)

4 eggs

1-1/2 C. milk (I use half & half)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 glass baking dish. Beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and flour together until blended. Arrange one can of chilies and spread over the bottom of the baking dish and cover with 1/3 of the cheeses. Repeat the layering process twice until all chiles and cheese is used. Pour the egg mixture over all. Let stand 30 min or overnight. Bake 45 minutes or until top is browned. Cool 20 minutes and serve. Serves 8-10
Last batch (for 5/5 at my work) was a HUGE success. This is a group of really picky eaters, sometimes whiny eaters actually. The whole 9x13 pan was the first item gone!

Brazen endorsement: She used Hatch brand mild chilies. Just a bit of heat with a ton of flavor. If you like more heat, Hatch also sells a hot version of their peppers. Hatch as in Hatch, NM peppers. Yummmmmmm.