ZionFireFriends

Full Version: Psalm 128
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Psalm 128

Blessedness of the Fear of the LORD

A Song of Ascents
<LIST type="decimal">
  1. <LI>
  2. How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD,

Who walks in His ways.</LI>
    <LI>
  3. When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands,

You will be happy and it will be well with you.</LI>
    <LI>
  4. Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine

Within your house,

Your children like olive plants

Around your table.</LI>
    <LI>
  5. Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed

Who fears the LORD.</LI>

<LI>
  6. The LORD bless you from Zion,

And may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life.</LI>
    <LI>
  7. Indeed, may you see your children's children.

Peace be upon Israel!</LI>
</LIST>There is a contrast between 127 and 128. Here it's clear the blessings will follow the one who is not trying to build the house on his own power--that the bread will not be from painful labor but rather a happy experience; life will be well with you.

And again, we see the hill from whence our help cometh! ZION! It's God's plan that we be prospered all the days of our lives. This is a Hebraic observation, not a western or Greek mindset observation. What is prosperity? Is it monetary? Perhaps that may be involved, but the earlier verses talk about a wife like a fruitful vine, and children like olive plants around the table. In Israel and in Arizona, I have friends who talk about olive trees and their propensity for pushing up shoots from the roots. In Arizona, olive trees are treated like weeds! They are pervasive and invasive. I want spiritual children like that, especially since there are no children or grandchildren in my future at this point. I want them to spring up, green and healthy, pervasive and invasive of their culture, being Christ to those nearby. If I can also see their spiritual offspring, what a blessing that will be!