ZionFireFriends

Full Version: Psalm 130
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Psalm 130

Hope in the LORD'S Forgiving Love

A Song of Ascents
<LIST type="decimal">
  1. <LI>
  2. Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD.</LI>
    <LI>
  3. Lord, hear my voice!

Let Your ears be attentive

To the voice of my supplications.</LI>
    <LI>
  4. If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,

O Lord, who could stand?</LI>
    <LI>
  5. But there is forgiveness with You,

That You may be feared.</LI>

<LI>
  6. I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait,

And in His word do I hope.</LI>
    <LI>
  7. My soul waits for the Lord

More than the watchmen for the morning;

Indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning.</LI>
    <LI>
  8. O Israel, hope in the LORD;

For with the LORD there is lovingkindness,

And with Him is abundant redemption.</LI>
    <LI>
  9. And He will redeem Israel

From all his iniquities.</LI>
</LIST>This is a favorite of mine. So many songs that I've enjoyed over the years have come from this psalm. We're still on the road to Jerusalem, to God's city. As we approach the gates, I think about the relationship I've had with Him over the years. I remember some of the very difficult times--bad harvests, untimely deaths of children and other loved ones--and I remember the body-wracking, soul-wrenching prayers in those painful times. I also remember knowing in my innermost being that He was hearing the prayers and sustaining me through the anguish. One of those iniquities that could be marked was failure to believe and to act on faith in Him, but even in that, there can be forgiveness to those who ask. Verse 7 says He offers abundant redemption. That's enough even for me! He will redeem. He will...

I wait. My very soul waits. Have you ever had to stay up all night? Had to, even though you were exhausted? I remember having to stand a four-hour night watch from 2:00 am until 6:00 am. Dawn during those days was early, something about 5:30 or 5:45. We were in a very dark place, far from the lights of civilization on a moonless night. Even the birds and insects were asleep. The fire was low and its warmth did not help my physical state. Standing, hopping, pacing, whistling, splashing water on my face--I tried everything I knew to help keep my eyes open. Oh how I longed for the morning to come with the end of my watch and voices that would help keep my soul from failing the task. Our only hope is in the Lord Who made the heavens and the earth!