ZionFireFriends

Full Version: Barley & Lamb Stew (Alton Brown)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning to try this this week. Saw Alton make it on his show on the food network and it looked YUMMY! I'll come back later and write a review.

BARLEY & LAMB STEW

2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-size pieces

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon olive oil, divided

3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds

1 cup barley grits

4 cups chicken broth

2 teaspoons freshly chopped oregano

In a medium mixing bowl, toss the lamb with the salt, pepper and flour.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add half of the lamb, and brown on all sides, approximately 7 to 8 minutes total. Remove the lamb to a bowl and repeat with the remaining oil and lamb. Remove the second batch of lamb to the bowl and add the carrots to the pot. Saute the carrots for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return all of the lamb to the pot along with the grits and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, decrease the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the lamb and grits are tender. Five minutes before the stew is finished, add the oregano. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired. Serve in bowls.
And I get to help EAT IT!!! :yay: Can't wait!
VERY YUMMY! That's my review....and I even forgot to put the oregano in at the end. Super flavorful from the browning you do with the lamb pieces. Be sure to use a good chicken stock too...that will make a difference.

I couldn't find barley grits, so I just ground up some pearl barley to a grit consistency in my Vitamix...worked fine. You could use a powerful blender or even a coffee grinder to do the same.

This recipe might even be kosher....

Dean and I ate it right up. And I've got some bones and scraps to use the next time I make lentils.....so a good deal all around.
HelenaZF,May 28 2006, 08:59 PM Wrote:VERY YUMMY! That's my review...

Dean and I ate it right up.
Oh, babybaby. SO yummy. Not only a keeper, but there WILL be command repeat performances. :yes:
ooh....lentils and lamb sound really good. :yum:
CROCK POT VARIATION

Decided to make this for our easter dinner this year, and boy am I glad! This is even better than the above recipe....amd simpler, although it takes a lot longer. The lamb gets very tender and the sauce it makes is incredibly flavorful. And there's no de-boning or cutting up to do. I think I'm going to do it this way from now on.

Here are the changes:

2 pounds lamb (I used bone-in chops this time...spectacular. Buy a little extra poundage to allow for the bones.)

1/4 C. flour mixed with 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

Dredge the lamb in the seasoned flour and sear on both sides till browned in about 2 T. olive oil Transfer lamb to 6 quart crock pot.

Add to lamb and cook on HIGH for 5 hours:

1 qt. chicken stock

1 C. white wine (any variety)

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. rosemary leaves

any remaining seasoned flour from above.

Add and cook on LOW for another 3 hours:

1 cup pearled barley (the slow cooking kind...not the flakes)

2 C. baby carrots

The barley will eventually swell and absorb most of the sauce. That is when you know it is done cooking.