ZionFireFriends

Full Version: Worship extensions for kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Always looking for ideas to use with kids. It's amazing how freed up a kid (and an adult for that mattter!) can get when you put a worship extension in their hands. They suddenly stop being self conscious and start dancing uninhibitedly, expressing such beautiful pure worship that I know the Lord must be pleased.

What is a worship extension? It's anything thing that increases the height, the range of motion and the colorfulness of what the physical body can do in worship expression. Flags, streamers, hoops, ribbons, scarves...all qualify.

Here's a couple we've used successfully over the years:<LIST>
  • <LI>
  • ribbon sticks</LI>
    <LI>
  • ribbon hoops</LI>
    <LI>
  • small flags</LI>
    <LI>
  • finger streamers, either tinsel or ribbons</LI>
    <LI>
  • scarves, can be reminiscent of water or flames, etc.</LI>
</LIST>I like to get some fullness in to ribbon-y things, so I like to add a nice wide piece of colorful fabric in with ribbons, or use metallic tinsel for some flash.

The hoops are a better choice for smaller children as the flags or ribbons that are attached on sticks quickly become "swords" and otherwise lethal weapons!

I like a set of small flags that our church kids use because even though they are small, there has still been some care and thought put into their design. They are made from quality fabrics & trims and have a praise phrase or Name of God on them and are attached to the sticks with long ribbons, so that there is some movement beyond just the flag itself.

We designed a ribbon stick that was a basic dowel with a bunch of narrow ribbons attached to a fishing swivel at the top, but added a 6-inch wide band of silk essence in a brilliant color to give it some fullness. The stick was about 18 inches, and the ribbon length was about a yard.

I'm sure we've done some other interesting things that I'm not remembering now, but I'll add them as they come to me.

What sorts of things have you used with young people? Maybe we can inspire each other.
Hi Helena,

I've never been into flags or banners, etc, myself, although I love to watch them--especially if I'm leading worship! Somehow, seeing people worship through flags, makes my heart soar. :-)

A friend of mine is into flags. . . .she doesn't come to our church, but our problem is that our ceilings are kind of low--since we do meet in a bar. . . ;-) How would you go about using flags and such, in a room with low ceilings? My friend (whom I love much) has been known to smack a few people now and then during worship. :-) (me included when I was leading at a retreat)

As well, we have a couple little ones (children) who dance during worship, one in a beautiful ballet style. . . what would be the best to give her to get her into flags? Maybe streamers???

thanks. .. and blessings!

Moe.

Yes..probably streamers that are a length appropriate to her size. IF you have enough horizontal space for her to work it. Adults can handle 8-foot streamers, but that is too long for a child. 5-6 feet would be about tops. Somthing as simple as a fluid piece of fabric could give her a "dance partner" that could help release her creativity.

The best things for low ceilings would be anything without a long stick. Scarves, finger streamers, ribbon hoops---that sort of thing is usually the best.

You can also put flags on a rod that is only as long as the flag, and work the flags from the center of the rod. That keeps them low and close to the body.
Low ceilings do tend to constrain one, don'y they? Not much you can do about it except, as Helena says, use more appropriate gear like ribbons. What about glory hoops? I have a stunner that was gifted to me by an American lady on a visit but I don't use it was it's not my 'thing'. Wouldn't part with it though, it's soo beautiful.

However, apart from the height, space is the other important issue. I think that flag worshippers who hit others on a more than occasional basis need to be asked to be more careful. We don't want more places acting like the governer in N. Carolina, now do we?!!!
One of the major instructions I always give kids with flags (and adults too!) is to always be able to see the tip of your flag. If you can't see the tip of your flag, you are much more likely to hit the chandelier "pinata" or some hapless worshipper.