ZionFireFriends

Full Version: worshipping on the sabbath
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When Christians start to explore their Jewish roots, there is often confusion about the sabbath. Should we worship on the sabbath AND on Sunday? Rest on the sabbath? Exchange Sunday worship for sabbath worship? What do the scriptures and the church fathers say to us?

This excerpt from "Is it Wrong to worship on Sunday?" from the messianic website <URL url="http://www.totheends.com/questions4.htm#Sunday">To the Ends of the Earth

gives us a reasonable interpretation of what Yeshua intended for us:

Quote:Yeshua called himself the "Lord of the Sabbath" (Matt. 12:8). This was in a debate with the Pharisees about what is permitted and what is not on the Sabbath. By claiming to be the "Lord of the Sabbath" and "greater than the Temple" (vs. 6), Jesus boldly proclaimed himself to be God (since God is the one who established the Sabbath), and therefore that he, and not the Pharisees, has authority to determine what is and what is not acceptable on the Sabbath.

The early Jewish believers in Jesus continued to observe the Sabbath (resting from Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset), and attend the synagogue on that day, but also held special believers' ("Christian") meetings on other days as well (Acts 2:46). Among the early Gentile believers, some followed this practice, with resting on the Sabbath, but others did not observe the Sabbath, and worshiped on whatever day or time was convenient to them (Rom. 14:5).

The reason they were able to do this, with Paul's approval, was that the Sabbath was never considered by the rabbis to be a requirement for Gentiles, but only for the Jews. Therefore the rabbis did not include Sabbath observance in the Laws of Noah (the laws that the rabbis believed God had given for Gentiles [see <URL url="http://www.totheends.com/questions.htm#Abraham1">What did Abraham know of the Law of God?]). This same line of thinking was followed by the early Jewish believers in Jesus. They omitted the Sabbath from the requirements for Gentile believers in Acts 15:20,29. This is part of the freedom that Gentile believers have in the Messiah. We can choose to rest and/or worship on the Sabbath, or on any other day. It's completely up to us.

Sabbath-keeping can be a legalistic trap that is easy to get caught up in. Remember, we are not trying to become Jewish....we are trying to become understanders and appropriators of all that is ours because of our Jewish origins.
An interesting phenomenon: Even science has come to realize the dramatic need for the human body to have "down time" on a regular basis. People who work 7 days a week or 60 hour weeks suffer from physical debilitation! And their productivity is not improved by the additional time spent. It seems that long hours are not a problem, so long as there are meaningful breaks built in and that at least one day is taken to REST, not to be involved in nonstop recreation. It's almost as though the body were designed to require a time to recharge the good batteries and to discharge the negative energies pent up after an intense work week.

When we were involved in itinerant ministry, we were convicted and convinced that it was vital to us that we take one day per week away from ministry to NOT do. Absolutely vital in the truest, "life-centric" sense of that word.
Here's the way I've always been taught, bear with me. With Romans 14:5 Paul was following the example of the Apostles in Acts 15:21:

Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

In other words, don't confront people and divide over issues when a lot of different folk are beginning to come together based on what they have in common. And that eventually we would all come into unity of the faith. I think this is a perfect opposite of denominating everyone.

You are right that the Rabbis did not (and still do not) consider the sabbath as being for the Gentiles, hence today we have something called the Noahide Laws, which basically cuts out anyone not considered Jew from the 10 Commandments, which were a "wedding ring" so to speak, and a lot of Jews are against it.

Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

(For the seed of Abraham was to become as the sands of the sea, scattered over the earth, but only a remnant should return.)

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

In the Day when YHWH Himself shall take the Reign, all flesh means all flesh.

Sabbath can be traced back into history to a time when all flesh remembered the 7th day since the time of Adam - <URL url="http://www.sdadefend.com/MINDEX%20Tracts/BS-3-Sabbath-Jesus.pdf">[url]<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.sdadefend.com/MINDEX%20Tract ... -Jesus.pdf">http://www.sdadefend.com/MINDEX%20Tracts/BS-3-Sabbath-Jesus.pdf</LINK_TEXT>[/url], but it was outlawed by Constantine in 321 AD, changed to the "venerable day of the Sun," and those who disobeyed were hunted, punished, and slaughtered.

Very true, science is amazing... the number 7 is built into Creation itself (and other related numbers), due to the honoring of the Creator, being Creator, that means He is the ultimate Owner of everything.

Very true, Sabbath can become quite a legalistic trap... I think people would often do better to worry more about working hard 6 days a week! Knowing these things, many get into denominating and dividing, when our forerunners would've said not to. Thank you for your time and consideration, and much love, Shalom