ZionFireFriends
A Resurrection Ramble - Printable Version

+- ZionFireFriends (https://zionfire.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ministry Round Table (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Pastoral Perspectives (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: A Resurrection Ramble (/showthread.php?tid=1121)

A Resurrection Ramble - DeanZF - 03-14-2010

I heard an interesting broadcast tonight on the way home from work. The voice was familiar, but I'm just not sure who it was, but the message was really one of those that made me go hmmmm.

The point of his very short message was powerful. We've heard such a bunch of warm, fuzzy Resurrection Morn messages. We've heard incredible messages about the incredible imagery of the Crucifixion. It was a horrible, gruesome day. But what about the Resurrection Day itself? His message brought back powerful memories.

Helena & I were part of the Polish National Catholic Church, an offshoot of Roman Catholicism, associated through consecration with the Old Catholic Union of Utrecht. Because of the ethnic roots of that denomination, there were some very interesting services included one that was chant and response. The title translated was "Bitter Lamentations". Many of the younger members who did not understand Polish had never heard the litany translated into English. I was blessed to be a part of the Music Commission of that denomination during the initial translation of the litany and was able to introduce a "beta" version to our home congregation. When the people heard the incredible word picture offered by that litany, they were stunned. Even some of the older second generation Polish-Americans heard the litany in a new light, hearing concepts that they'd never really "heard" while singing very deep and moving Polish poetry. People wept and wanted more. They were exposed to the raw, visceral nature of the Passion of our Lord. Many wanted to learn more. Many asked about where to read more about the life of Christ. And into the Word we went! That's an awesome thing for people who had never had exposure to the joy and power of His written Word. And it was the beginning of an awesome era in that congregation's life.

Easter, however, only had inklings of power attached to it. Yes, the tomb was empty, Yes, He was alive. Yes, He was risen. Some of the music through the ages has given great imagery of the risen Lord, the majesty, the awe, the warm and fuzzy feelings closer to that of the most valuable player at the Superbowl. Perhaps it was my own dissatisfaction with the energy, but it always seemed as though people were more concerned about the ham or roast and the lilies about the altar, or the pretty dresses and hats than about the events of the Lord's Resurrection Day.

The teacher evoked all sorts of things in my imagination. Can you imagine for a few minutes being in Jerusalem during the week-end of that fateful Passover, especially on that Friday? Earthquakes, long dead people walking the street, a supernatural occurrence in Matthew 27 that tears the foot-thick curtain in the temple from top down, exposing the Holy of holies to the view of any in the holy place. There was an event that caused darkness to literally cause an early night in Jerusalem. Was it an unexpected eclipse? An empty storm without wind or rain, but just darkness? Does it matter?

This was an extraordinary day that was an enormous shock to that city. The ground shook beneath their feet. Dead people known to the populace were now walking the streets, talking, sharing. The Temple sewing team was called for an emergency repair session the likes of which had never been recorded. And this unexpected darkness thing. People were convinced that God was up to something. If He truly lived in the Holy of holies, had He just rent His garments in divine grief? Were the visitors from Abraham's Bosom sharing a different view of the Resurrection?

Their world was rocked! Their next days and weeks were impacted by incredible events. I believe that we have lost the impact of those events. We don't talk in hushed awe about the ways in which God impacted the world then OR now! Why? Do we take Him for granted? Do we read or ponder those amazing things? Have I become lazy or complacent in my awe of Him? Am I so busy in my work-a-day world that I too often miss the things that ought to rock my world?

I remember hearing Sandi Patti's rendition of "Was it a morning like this?" I remember hearing Ray Boltz' "Watch the Lamb". I remember my lower lip quivering like a little kid and hot tears filling my eyes. I decided that I was not dead inside and that the severity of the days that those songs depicted had made me revisit the world shaking reality of Jesus' sacrifice for me and that I would do my best never to lose that awe again.

Read the four descriptions in the Gospels. Put them together in your own mind and re-experience the Resurrection. Let it change your life...again.