ZionFireFriends
ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - Printable Version

+- ZionFireFriends (https://zionfire.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ministry Round Table (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: ZionFire Ministry Info (https://zionfire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) (/showthread.php?tid=4)

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - HelenaZF - 02-03-2006

ZionFire is pleased offer a session on hebraic dance on Friday night of the CDF Dance Clinic in Kansas City on March 24, 2006.

Registration for the two-day clinic is $25.00. Clinic sessions include: kids-n-praise, modern, hip-hop, free style & congregational dance, health & nutrition, limited movement , “Youth Jamz” and more.

The clinic is sponsored by the KC CDF organization and will be held over 2 days--March 24, 25 at Fountain of Blessing at 1100 Rushi Way, near Rushi high school.

Call Jeanine Brown (CDF coordinator) for more details: 816-304-4327

or email to <EMAIL email="Jireh@kc.rr.com">Jireh@kc.rr.com</EMAIL>.

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - HelenaZF - 03-23-2006

A few more details:

The Friday night session will start at 7pm with Praise & worship.

The first clinic will start at 7:45 "Modern Dance"

The second clinic (ours!) will start at 8:45 (Israeli Folk Dance)

Kids sessions will run simultaneously in other rooms.

Registration for the two-day clinic is $25.00. Clinic sessions include: kids-n-praise, modern, hip-hop, free style & congregational dance, health & nutrition, limited movement , “Youth Jamz” and more.

The clinic is sponsored by the KC CDF organization and will be held over 2 days--March 24, 25

Call Jeainnie Brown (CDF coordinator) for more details: 816-304-4327

or email to <EMAIL email="Jireh@kc.rr.com">Jireh@kc.rr.com</EMAIL>.

The event is being held at:

Fountain of Blessings Ministries

11000 Ruskin Way

Kansas City, MO

<URL url="http://www.google.com/local?num=30&hl=en&l...=local&ct=title"><LINK_TEXT text="http://www.google.com/local?num=30&hl=e ... l&ct=title">http://www.google.com/local?num=30&hl=en&l...=local&ct=title</LINK_TEXT>

for a map! Double click on the A balloon to recenter it and you can play from there!

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - HelenaZF - 03-25-2006

REPORT!

We had a class of about 70 dancers from nearly a dozen area churches. Sarah York (of Dramatic Truth Ministries) had the first session - Modern dance. She warmed them up for us with a 45 minute progression of stretching and modern dance moves.

And then--we wore everyone out by teaching and executing two Israeli dances. We taught the Ma Navu step, and a combination of basic steps (mayim, tcherkaziah, etc.) to Paul Wilbur's "Blessed are You" from the Jerusalem Arise! CD. We ended the class with a free-style celebration "torah dance" to Jonathen Settel's "Yeshlanu Torah" from his CD Through His eyes.

Dean taught dynamically about the foundations of Israeli dance, and its place as a tool of intercession, and encouraged men to unashamedly particpate in dance in their congregations. I must say, he cut a dashing figure in his kipah and tallit! Before everyone parted, there was a prayer and a blowing of the shofar.

It is our prayer that the Lord spoke to some there in a new way through what we taught, and that the seeds of love and celebration of our Jewish roots were planted.

You can read & download a copy of our hand-out notes on Hebrew Dance Foundations in our Reads & Reviews forum: <URL url="http://zionfirefriends.com/index.php?showtopic=143">Class Notes

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - DeanZF - 03-26-2006

<SIZE size="5">Dean's Report...

What can I say? It was a HOOT! :yay:

The folks were responsive and really got into it. As Helena said, Sarah really prepped them for us in addition to giving them good things in her own right. It wasn't her intention really, to "prep them", but it worked out that way. They were able to be a little rowdy :hyper: and get some of their energy and excitement worked off so that they were ready for a quick change-up. We were introduced as teaching "Davidic dance warfare". It wasn't what we signed up for ( :blink: ), but it was appropriate, in a sense :ninja: . We planned to start out with a little live music. Seventy folks, all geared up, one keyboard, and NO MICROPHONES!! :piano: Hmmm. I asked them to become "mime dancers" and they responded like champs. :mute: Told 'em that 70 of them could easily drown her out and they'd get lost, so mime-dancers they were! Worked like a charm.

Helena sang (and I helped a little), and I led them in some simple movements that they could easily teach to a congregation with an appropriate song. Great pew dance, great for people who are intimidated by movement in expression of their honor and love for their God. They "got it" immediately and entered in completely. :wow:

Helena taught a couple of simple step-based circle dances :circledance: to an appreciative audience. They had a good time, learned some, stepped all over themselves and each other, laughed, dug in, and danced their hearts out. I finished up the evening with another little non-choreographed choreography, trying to help them see ways to get the men in their congregations involved. We played a wonderful little Hebrew song, "Yeshlanu Torah!" that is a real celebration of Simchat Torah, the last day and last holiday of the Tabernacles holiday week. Joy in Torah. It's a gently jazzy piece that tells about all that YHWH has given by providing the Law. We encourage the folks to grab a Bible and to Dance with the Word Incarnate by using their written Word as a substitute. :tallit: No given steps, just moving and loving Him, celebrating Him with all of our strength, mind, heart, soul. Great fun, great praise time, and what I thought was some meaningful prayer time afterward. We closed the night with a Confusedhofar:

There were a couple of neat testimonies. After Yeshlanu, one of the men said, "We need to be like that ALL the time in our worship. Lifting Him up, dancing with Him like He dances over us. Yeah, ALL that stuff. I learned something!" During one of the circle dances, as it came to a close, what better testimony than a single voice loudly asking, "Hey, can we do that AGAIN?!?!?!?!"

It was a great evening of glorifying God!

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - Bearing Gifts - 04-02-2006

wonderful session from reading the report.

david Big Grin

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - HelenaZF - 04-04-2006

Got a little note from Jeainnie today. In it she said:

Quote:We received A LOT of positive feedback about ZionFire

after the clinic.  We

will definitely have to invite ya'll back for one of

our future clinics.

She asked about getting a shofar. Love it when people get excited about embracing our Jewish roots!

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - Dave - 06-06-2006

Helena,

I enjoyed reading about this and it sounds like you had a wonderful time.

But I like to rock the boat a little (it's one of my ministries), so I'm going to ask what do you mean by this???

HelenaZF,Mar 25 2006, 11:57 AM Wrote:We taught the ancient Ma Navu step
Most people would understand the "Ma Navu step" to be the combination that, repeated four times, forms the second part of the dance Ma Navu:<LIST> </LIST>Is that what you're referring to?

But I really must take issue with your use of the word "ancient".

The popular Israeli dance called Ma Navu was choreographed in 1975 by Raya Spivak. The song, by her husband Yossi, was written a bit earlier. I can't trace an exact date, but there's another dance to it by Rivka Sturman that was created in 1962. So the song can't be dated after then.

But 1975 or 1962 certainly doesn't count as ancient in my book <EMOJI seq="1f607">:innocent:</EMOJI>

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - HelenaZF - 06-06-2006

Quote:Most people would understand the "Ma Navu step" to be the combination that, repeated four times, forms the second part of the dance Ma Navu:

* yemenite right

* pivot on right to face right

* step together step on left

* pivot on left to face centre

Is that what you're referring to?

that's exactly what I meant. I did not teach it in conjuction with the song "Ma Navu" however, but used Israel's Hope"s "How I praise You".

I was taught that Ma Navu was a step from dances meant to be prayers and just assumed it to be ancient. If it is indeed not ancient, thank you for enlightening all of us.

I have edited out the modifier in the above post.

ZF's Israeli Dance class-CDF Clinic 3/24 (REPORT) - Margolit - 06-12-2006

Dave, Helena,

Love this discussion; thanks to both of you for the info!

Like Helena, I suspect, I learned the steps of the dance to "How I Praise You", which was part of our congregation's small repertoire back in the early days. We learned a few years later that it actually went with "Ma Navu", but like so many other Messianic dances and songs, were used interchangably.

Dave, I wasn't aware that particular part of the dance was called a "Ma Navu STEP", however. But it doesn't surprise me..... after all there is the kibbutz step dance, simply known as "the kibbutz step", and so many others. Thanks for the history behind it.....I've always been interested in the history and story behind things.

I also have a video with a faster "Modern 'Ma Navu' ", at the intermediate level, if your interested.

Helena, I can really understand how you could see it "as a step from dances meant to be prayers." This is particularly true if dancers are not holding hands at that point:

We drop hands for that part; they're usually waist high, palms up. As we do the step-together-step, our arms reach out and slightly up in a smal scooping-like motion with the left foot, brought slightly back on the right, and out again on the left. To me, it's like continually reaching out in supplication to the L-rd, especially as your whole body moves with it when you do.

:notworthy: